OSYC Street Address
100 Front Beach Drive
Ocean Springs, MS 39564
OSYC Mailing Address
P.O. Box 821
Ocean Springs, MS 39566
SUMMER YOUTH SAILING LESSONS...
2017 Youth Summer Sailing Classes - *** Registration Links Below ***
Session 1 Mornings 9:00 AM - Noon, June 5-16, Mon - Fri - FULL
Session 2 Afternoons 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM, June 5-16 , Mon - Fri
Session 3 Mornings 9:00 AM - Noon, July 10-21, Mon-Fri
Session 4 Afternoons 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM, July 10-21, Mon-Fri
- Successful completion of the sailing course and practical tests will assist the student in proficiencies required for a US Sailing Certification of Competency.
- Although the student will not earn US Sailing certification, they will have fundamental sailing knowledge and experience, and some sailing experience from which to apply for the certification.
- Courses will be fully staffed by US Sailing Certified Instructors.
- Club members and course graduates ages 14 and up may then use club boats without supervision.
- Younger folks must have a qualified sailor's supervision.
- The course is 30 hours and is conducted over two weeks. Fee is $220 before May 15, $250 after May 15.
- Wear bathing suit and t-shirt, Bring: towel, lifejacket, water, snack, sunscreen, and CLOSED TOE shoe
ADULT Sailing Classes-- Class size is limited to 4 per session.
Class Dates:TBD - My lead instructor is back from college. Adult lessons will be scheduled as demand warrants. Get in touch with me and we'll set up some dates.
Private Lessons are available at $25/hour. Please contact FleetCaptain@osyc.com to check dates and availability
Check back, more classes may come if the demand is there.
Here's some more info about the classes as well as some reading ahead you can do to be more ready:
Get a jump on the course material by reviewing the following materials:
YOUTH SAILOR RE-CERTIFICATION / RE-QUALIFICATION
Sailors, Parents, Friends,
Effective April 1, 2014, all youth sailors under age 18 must re-qualify to sail club boats.
At no cost to you, we will have instructors to evaluate, and if competent, re-qualify youth sailors. Here are the details:
· Safety, safety and safety.
With proper sailing skills, sailing the Club’s Hobie Waves and Sunfish is safe and fun. Youth sailors need to demonstrate that they have the skills to use Club equipment safely, and respond to the situations that can occur while sailing.
· Re-familiarizing youth sailors and parents with the rules for club boat use, and boat checkout procedures.
The club has a set of common sense rules governing when and where Club boats may be used, and the procedures for checking out boats and filing float plans. Familiarity with these rules is a must for youth sailors and parents.
· TBD: Watch your e-mail for date announcements
· First-come first-served basis. Several sailors can go at once. 15-20 minutes per sailor.
· Instructors on the beach wearing an OSYC polo shirt, unless they are out on a boat
· Sailors will be required to demonstrate:
o Rigging the boat
o All points of sail
o MOB (man overboard) recovery
o Capsize and recovery
o Beaching and de-rigging the boat
o Understanding rules for use of club boats, and boat sign out procedures
Upon successful completion the sailors updated certification record will be maintained in the club office.
If a sailor is unable to perform the above tasks satisfactorily, they will not be permitted to use the club boats until they can demonstrate these skills. Sailors may take summer sailing camp lessons, or contact the fleet captain to schedule a short refresher lesson.
If a sailor is unavailable to re-qualify on a boat during the dates listed above, they may do so on a space available basis during any of our summer sailing camps or by scheduling an appointment with our Fleet Captain (firstname.lastname@example.org).
AFTER RE-QUALIFICATION A PARENT MUST BE PRESENT TO REVIEW THE BOAT RULES AND SIGN A STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITY AND LIABILITY WAIVER BEFORE A YOUTH SAILOR MAY USE THE BOATS.
If you have questions, comments or suggestions, please feel free to bring them to the management, OSYC board, or the Fleet Captain.
Thank you for your support as we encourage SAFE, SKILLFUL and FUN sailing.
Fleet Captain, OSYC
Board Member Ocean Springs Sailing Squadron
…the non-profit, charitable Sailing arm of the Ocean Springs Yacht Club…